Friday, October 16, 2020

Seki-Joju Bonsai and The End of The Season

I've finished up most of my horticultural work for the year and soon it will be time for the plant world to rest for the winter. We don't have much of a fall here but when winter descends it comes fast and with a vengeance. I planted my newest bonsai in its pot and it seems to be thriving. I have it wired for training and the root system is strong.

Seki-Joju Style Bonsai.


This year's work was quite gratifying. Everything produced well and we have quite a bounty to see us through until next season. I think I put up close to 18 quarts of tomatoes alone. As always I used my great-grandfather's  recipe for my pickles. The recipe has some rather quaint measurements such as "enough salt to just float an egg." The chemistry for that has quite close tolerances when I measured the salinity.

I produced about 50 trees and vines this year from seed, cuttings, and layering. The last few trees I have will be going away this weekend. I have a long waiting list, but that might not be due so much to the quality of my work, but rather that I give the trees away. I also get some rather odd phone calls such as "are you that tree guy?" How did you get my phone number? Sometimes the answer to my question to the caller is more odd than I would expect.

It's been a great growing year and I'm well pleased.


No comments:

Post a Comment